Monday, February 18, 2008

We're Tourists!!!

We feel like tourists in our own area! Neither of us had ever been to or lived in the midwest until we moved here, so we're having a ball seeing all the sites!!

Chicago, of course, is only 1 1/2 hours away from home. We're kinda cheap, so we haven't done much there other than attend the temple, ride around town on the free trolley, and visit the free Navy Pier! (although, I wouldn't actually call it free after we'd paid $22 to park!)

The Mall of America was one of our first outings-- St. Paul, MN. At the time we went, Andy worked crazy hours, and so any time we could get a weekend away together was a luxury. We jumped at the chance.

Nauvoo is only 3 1/2 hours away from home!! We love going there, and have been more than once. The temple is beautiful, and the spirit in that little city is so peaceful. What a fun 'get away'-- we truly feel like we're in another world when we go (which is nice sometimes :o) Hopefully sometime soon we can make it in the summer to see the pageant.

I had the opportunity to go on a trip last year with the youth to Missouri and see all the church history sites there. We saw Independence, Liberty, Far West, Adam-ondi-Ahman, and Haun's Mill. That is a trip I'll never forget, and I cannot wait to take Andy back. Wow-- it's just simply amazing to be there and to see all the sites there are to see in that small area.

In Pleasant Prairie, WI is the Jelly Belly Factory. We've been a few times, and each time try some new disgusting flavor of Jelly Belly. The worst I've tried so far is booger. Andy's gotten brave enough for earth worm.... ewwwww! Not quite as gross as my little brother-in-law and sister-in-law who were brave enough to taste 'vomit'. :P

Springfield, IL is probably one of my favorite places to visit-- especially the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum. I would recommend this to anyone--wow-- it's a great place!! We spent a day in the city, touring all the Lincoln sites and the Capitol.

St. Louis, MO was a quick trip for us-- we spent one day there, and could have spent more time. We did enjoy a nice nap, and some time relaxing in the park under the arch.

We've got a lot more traveling to do, and we can't wait for it! We plan to go to Wisconsin Dells this summer for a family reunion, and I'm sure we'll find time to do a lot more traveling as well. We live in a great area of the country!!!!!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Awesome! Jared is looking at where to go for his graduation trip this summer, so I've been "suggesting" cool places to go (my mom told him he had to stay in North America). Looks like I'll have to look a little harder at some of those places. You make them sound so appealing!

Aggieland Mom said...

It's so cool that you guys have done all that traveling in just a few short years! I grew up in the midwest and I've only done half of those things! I love the Dells! That's so cool you're having a family reunion there, they have some really neat resorts! We used to go there every year! You'll love it!

Unknown said...

What amazing places and sites to visit! You do live in a great part of the country. We really want to make a trip out there to IL someday, so we might have to consider all your suggestions. Enjoy your fun travels!